I Like Ike

Sunday, September 14, 2008
I am going to say something that will be controversial, but "I like Ike". There, I said it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to those in the path of Hurricane Ike. I feel bad for those that have lost their lives, their homes, their dreams, their everything. I wish that Ike didn't have to hurt anyone.

But I see more than the destruction and the loss. I see the beauty of the storm also. Ike has brought cool weather to end our hot summer. I haven't closed my windows since Ike blew threw, and my A/C in my house and my car have stayed off! And while the rain brought flooding to many areas, it also brought water to many thirsty regions. Ike has pushed Summer away and has invited Fall to come in.

So while the chaos and grieving are not lost on me, I also see the beauty and the benefits that Ike has brought to many of us.

Matthew

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We didn't get ONE DROP of rain - so I am mad at Ike.

but..... we did get off at noon on Friday :>) :>)

Anonymous said...

From Cindy -- I think that it is the true mark of humanity to see beauty, to find hope, and to understand that wonderful things can come out of unplanned, even horrible acts of nature. Volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, fires are all natural ways in which the earth changes. You don't build in a flood plain. You don't buy in a chaparral. You don't inhabit on a fault line. And you don't live on a barrier island or at sea level -- you are flirting with disaster. I can go on and on how media encourages the negative... Houston, New Orleans and many other coastal/port towns are endanger every storm season... it has been this way forever.
I think you are blessed cause you see the positive in the storms. You weren't effected negatively. But be careful cause the evacuees (you know the ones that complained about every shelter and donation they received) may want to come invade your cool and refreshed area very soon. :-)